Excuses Are Like...

Excuses are like ass holes, everyone has one and they all stink.  Yep, I sure did.  I just said it.  I put it out there for everyone to know.  I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor, but in all seriousness is anyone ever interested in someone's excuse?

When is it that we learn the behavior of blaming others for our shortcomings and failures?  No seriously.  When?  When is this taught to us?  Grade school?  Middle school?  High school?  Or do we learn it as young adults?

I've learned in my nearly 40 years, that's it's just better to man up and take the blame for the misstep and move forward.  That's not to say that the perfectionist in me doesn't beat me up for a few days after the misgivings of the failure, but if everyone survives without injury it's all good.    Yes.  I am still learning to let it go, but I do accept blame for the missteps I take.  

What I'm wondering is why is this so hard to do?  Do we hold ourselves so highly, that we don't think we can make mistakes?  Do we think others will think badly of us if we aren't perfect?  Do some of us just think we're that perfect and we can't possibly be at fault?  Do we think it makes us look better if we provide the excuse?

What I'm really talking about is the chronic offender.  You know the one who has an excuse for EVERYTHING!!!  "I sorry I'm late, but..."  They can't ever just stop at "I'm sorry I'm late."  I understand that there are sometimes when an excuse is perfectly acceptable, but really how does that apply to the chronic excuse maker?  

Am I alone here?  Someone, please tell me I'm not.  

In my line of work, I hear a lot of excuses and there is a lot of follow-throughs needed on my part, but when I screw it up I admit it and move forward.  I jacked up yesterday, as a matter of fact.  I gave the wrong info, but no one died and the rest of the day went smoothly.  An hour after it all happened we all had a big laugh, at my expense, but a laugh none the less.  Everyone learned that I too am human.  I was still beating myself up a little as I wrote this, but I've moved forward and today is a new day.  I don't usually make the same mistake twice, and I know that owning it makes it easier to move forward.
Stop making excuses for your actions.  Break the habit.  Break the pattern.  I'll wager that your life will improve when you stop creating reasons why the world is against you and you start taking on the world.

"You're the sky.  Everything else - it's just the weather" 
~ Pema Chodron

Including your constant excuses.  

Comments