Creating

It's been a while since I wrote, and some of you might be wondering why.  The answer is simple - I've been holed up in my studio creating, which is by far my most loved thing in the world.  When the desire to create hits, the desire to do much else disappears.  I love making things, and while I have dozens of crafty options, paper is my first love.

Over the weekend I listened to a few episodes of Crafty Chat on YouTube.  There were a couple of episodes with the CEO of Hero Arts that I really enjoyed, probably because it took me down memory lane.  Back to the days of mail order rubber stamp catalogs, before the big scrapbooking trend and way before mixed media was a thing.  It dawned on me, I've been doing this for a really long time, nearly three decades, a quarter of a century.

I wandered down this path when I was in high school when a rubber stamping store opened in my hometown.  Rocky Mountain Impressions was a tiny little shop, lined with wood mounted stamps.  It was in this little shop I learned the magic of embossing powered, how to make tiny gift bags from envelopes, how to layer images and some cool ink techniques I still use.  It was here that I fell in love with the world of rubber stamps and learned to make cards.

If you'd have asked me back then I would have told you it was a phase.  I have tried a lot of hobbies and dabbled in a number of mediums if you will.  I would have never guessed that I would pack my rubber stamping and card making supplies through four states and expand my skills as we moved.  I've added die cutting and mixed media goods to my stash of card making supplies.  I use watercolor techniques and still love embossing.

I read this quote a few days ago:

And suddenly you know... 
it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.  

This gave me cause to stop and really think.  While card making isn't new to me, I am starting something new.  I'm starting to trust myself, trust my instincts to create.  Trust myself to be the artist I've kept locked inside for way too long.  I have a new focus and am moving forward.






Comments