Inward Acceptance

Happy New Year!  It's time to get back to reality.  Are you ready?  I'm not sure I am, but I have to go there anyway.  Back to work, time to start the Spring Semester.  Working for an educational consortium comes with so many perks and rewards, but starting a new semester isn't one of them.  Things will be a little bit of a madhouse for the next couple of weeks, but I digress.  Today's post isn't about going back to work, and quite honestly is a little raw and may not be a read for everyone.

I started my morning with this yoga video, let's just say I'm a bit off my game.  I let my daily practice laps a bit over the last three weeks.  It's time to get back to it.  Yoga has helped me in so many ways.  The movement and stretching are what it's about for me.  I don't follow a yoga practice for spiritual or meditational guidance.  This practice started as a way to heal my back, and increase movement in my very sedentary lifestyle.  Where am I going with this?  Keep reading.

In my last post, I talked about needing to be inspired to make changes, that I don't do resolutions or goals.  All of which is true.  I also linked to an article about picking a word.  While this idea has been pushed around in my brain before I've never actually picked a word to carry me through the year.  This morning I found a bit of inspiration for how I'm going to face the new year and quite possibly a word, or maybe a bit more of a phase - 2017 will be my year of Inward Acceptance.


Part of my morning routine is to read multiple blogs, one of which is The Healthy Maven.  This morning's post - Healthy Living Accounts to Inspire You in 2017.  As someone who's always looking for new blogs and Instagrammers to follow I was anxious to read this post.  I found a couple of new blogs, but really fell for The Real Life - RD.  While poking through some of her older posts I found this one - Actionable Steps to Accept, then Love Your Body.  Robyn hit a lot of nails on the head for me.  I spend a lot of time beating myself up and making jokes about a body I don't really love and accept.  I've been working on this mental image of myself over the last year and that image is getting better, but I'm still not at the point of acceptance.  I've reached the tolerating phase, with the help of my yoga practice that I was talking about earlier.

All of this tied into another post I read this morning on The Art of Simple.  Her post, One Thing I'm  Adding to My Routine  This Year had a couple of highlights that struck a chord with me.  My biggest take away from reading this article is as follows, which I've paraphrased:
Stop Looking outward for validation.  Instead Look inward.  Choose to do things that feel good and actually serve you.  Instead of looking around look in, life is fuller that way.  
Then we'll tie all of this into the afternoon I spent with a friend yesterday.  The two of discussed the picking of a word to carry us through the year and I wasn't really sure about a word, but I was willing to give it some serious consideration.  With all of this in mind, I've been inspired to embrace a word, or as I stated earlier, it's more of a phrase.  Will I stick with it for a year?  There is no way to know that unless I try it out.

 As we move forward into the new year, we all carry something with us that we wish to change.  For so many, it's a change in our body image, but what I'm learning is that until I accept my body as it is now I won't be able to move forward.  Old habits are hard to break.  Mean self-talk is hard to let go of, especially when you've been doing it your entire life.  As my wise friend stated yesterday - I've got to find the stick and jam it in the spokes to propel me forward.  When you put a stick in the spokes of a bike wheel you fly forward over the handlebars.  Let's hope I develop my wings while in flight.  Moving forward with my mission of Inward Acceptance.  Happy New Year and may you find your word or phrase to propel you forward.

Comments